Sunday, February 7, 2010

I Will Poop in 40 Days

I know the title sounds a little crass but if you bear with me, it will make sense.

Right now, the biggest challenge in my life is potty training Matthew. We have gone the rounds trying to get him to use the potty. This week, I finally managed to get him to pee in the potty most of the time but I have not been successful with the waste that comes from around the corner. I know it is not because he doesn't know it's coming. He runs and hides when it is time to make a deposit, unfortunately the deposit is not at the bank I want it to be. One day, after changing some unsightly underwear, and being quite exasperated, I asked Matthew when he would poop in the potty. I happened to be eye level with him as I presented the query. He reached out with both hands, cupped my face and pulled me close. He then said to me, in quite a serious tone, "Mom, I will poop in the potty in 40 days." I guess I had my answer.