Sunday, January 24, 2010

Farewell to Grandma Hessing

Yesterday, January 23rd, Grandma Hessing passed on and returned to the arms of Grandpa. I know she has been missing him for quite some time and I'm positive that the reunion was sweet. We, however, will miss her. I will miss her brilliant smile that she was always so willing to share with everyone. She appreciated all of the little things going on around her. I will miss her at the family parties, sitting quietly in the corner, watching all the comings and goings, happy to be there. She was a delight to have because she loved everything you made, especially dessert-- she would often have a little taste of each. (I'm glad to know that as you get older you don't have to worry about the waistline!) She was a great example of loving and serving. She was always concerned about everyone and would feel true grief when someone was suffering. I will remember the few visits I had to her home in Boise when James and I were first married. Grandma and Grandpa were always so happy to have us there. It was a real treat to have Grandma cook for you and we were always included in the morning scripture study. One of my favorite memories was when I found her copy of the book "The Robe." I had just finished reading the book so I commented on it. Grandma stopped what she was doing, came over and picked up the book, and with a tear in her eye, told me that was her very favorite book. We then talked about what makes that book so great. Hopefully, I can get James to share some thoughts but I know one phrase that Grandma said that will always stick with him. She would always remind James to be "a Jesus boy".

Luke says he will miss her greeting him with a "Hello Luke" everytime he saw her. Lindsey will miss her sweet smile. Heather says she will remember her voice and how it was so kind and made her feel happy. Savannah says she was always nice. I hope the kids will remember visiting her in the care center before Christmas and singing Christmas songs to her. I know that was a great experience for them.

I think of the hymn "Each Life that Touches Ours For Good" and I can honestly say that my life is better because Grandma Hessing touched it.