Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Luke is Officially a Teenager

Luke had his birthday this last week, September 23rd to be exact. It's hard to believe that he is now a teenager. He informed me I would have to get up earlier than usual to get his breakfast in bed ready because he is now in Junior High and it starts earlier than elementary. I set the alarm for half an hour earlier than usual but Luke was excited for the day and woke up even earlier than that. He was showered and dressed by the time I awoke so he had to have his "breakfast in bed" on his bedroom floor fully clothed. Then I made him wait a while before waking up the other kids to open presents.

I've discovered it's not easy shopping for a teenager when they won't give you any specifics about what they would like. I also discovered that sometimes, after thinking it over, they will present you with a list the night before their birthday. Unfortunately, that is not enough time to shop! I think I did pretty good getting Luke some surprises for his big day. It turns out his favorite gift has been a Gatorade water bottle and instant Gatorade mix to fill it with. It's funny how the simplest things are usually the best. Just as a side note, I was very excited to finally find instant Gatorade mix--it brings back a lot of memories from playing high school sports. Luke agrees with me that it's better than the bottled stuff.

Lindsey and I snuck up to the Junior High to fill Luke's locker with treats and decorations. However, once there, I was unable to open his lock. I had to laugh at myself because during his 7th grade orientation, the student advisors made such a big deal about letting the kids practice opening locks and buying them locks to practice with, etc., that I found it comical and was even mocking the idea that if locker locks was the most worrisome thing a student encountered, their school career couldn't be all that difficult. I guess what goes around comes around because I soon found myself at the junior high unable to unlock a locker. What can I say, at Beaver High, no one locked their lockers! Anyhow, we had to settle on decorating the outside of his locker and hope that no one ate the candy before he saw it.

That evening our family enjoyed dinner at Outback Steakhouse, Luke's choice. Of course, Luke ordered the biggest steak he could. After dinner, we returned home to have blueberry pie and ice cream.