Sunday, January 3, 2010

Christmas Day

Christmas day is always full of excitement. The kids were kind enough to let us sleep in until 7:00 am then they insisted we get up to open presents. Weeks of searching, buying, shipping, and wrapping come together and it's over in about an hour. Watching the people you love and care about react to the gifts you've chosen makes that hour priceless.

We had a good Christmas. We are very blessed. We were blessed this year to give our kids most of the things they wanted and to be able to help some others do the same for their kids. At Christmastime we become much more aware of the needs of those around us, in fact we seek out people to serve. I had a few people come knock on our door and ask if we knew who needed assistance. It's too bad we don't do that throughout the year--seek out those who might need help. I'm guilty of this and I hope to do better.

After all the gifts were opened, most of the mess was cleaned up, and James and I had had a nap, we had a nice Christmas dinner. We talked about the things we were thankful for and what our favorite gifts were.
It's funny that what I think will be their favorite gift isn't usually the case. Matthew, of course, was thrilled with everything but I think he liked his four-wheeler the best. Savannah's favorite gift was her twin dolls. Heather claims she liked them all the same. Lindsey chose her Ipod as her favorite and Luke's was the same. James favorite gift was the Star Trek Enterprise Collectible ship I got him. It's always nice when I can find something that he likes that is a complete surprise. I decided boys like toys no matter the age, they just get more expensive as the boy gets older. My favorite gift was the wedding DVD James did along with the many other gifts he and the kids got me.


We ended the day by driving down to Beaver. It worked out great because the kids fell asleep and slept most of the way down there. Luke sat up front with me and we talked a lot of the way down. That in itself was a priceless gift.