Sunday, January 8, 2012

Halloween

Halloween is different as your kids get older.  We had fewer trick-or-treaters going out from our family.  Luke and Lindsey had plans with their friends so it was just Heather, Savannah, Matthew and I.  We were lucky to have great weather that night.  In fact, I don't remember a Halloween night that was so mild.  Heather was a spider witch with spider webs in her hair and her face painted white with spider webs.  Savannah was a dead witch princess and Matthew was a knight.  We bought Matthew some pajamas in England that look like a knight costume and he wore that so essentially he was trick-or-treating in his pajamas.  I can't think of a more comfortable way to do it. 


The kids were determined to do the whole three blocks of our neighborhood.  We always set out to get all the houses around us but we never do because there are too many and the kids get tired.  We made it further than we have before but still haven't done the whole neighborhood. 

The night before Halloween we had a spooky Halloween dinner with pumpkin stew.  Of course, it was candlelight.  It seems that whenever you turn out the lights and eat by candlelight the kids think everything is so much better.  That was probably my favorite part of Halloween this year was sitting around the table laughing together.


We also renewed our annual neighborhood Halloween party this year.  We had to take a break last year because of construction but we were excited to host again this year.  It didn't seem quite as crowded as it usually is.  There were some who couldn't come but I realized it was actually because we have quite a bit more space for everyone to spread out in.  We look forward to doing it again next year.

This year, I got a real treat for Halloween.  There is a home we would drive by on the way to dance the last few years.  This home always had the best yard decorations.  Lindsey and I were driving somewhere at the end of September and saw signs for a yard art sale.  I thought it must be this house as it was the only place I knew that had yard art.  We took a detour and sure enough it was this home.  The artist is Val Bagley (he does a lot of illustrated childrens' church books.)  He was selling his stuff because he wanted to do more for his yard.  We browsed his selection and picked out a few items.  I saw a cartoon he had drawn in his garage.  I mentioned that I thought it would be cool to have that done life-size for my yard.  He told me he had always wanted to do that picture and he would do it for me for a good price.  I quickly took him up on the offer.  I was surprised when he told me he could have it done in a few days.  I was expecting at least a month.  The witches turned out even better than I expected.