Friday, June 24, 2011

Jazzin' it Up!

Last year, Luke decided to sign up for band. After his experience with 6th grade orchestra, I was a little wary of having him try another instrument. He promised this time would be different. He was right. Luke decided to try the trumpet. He put a lot of time into practicing and it paid off. I also think some parts came easier to him because he was already familiar with music. About halfway through the year, his instructor invited Luke to join the Jazz Band. The jazz band has about 12 people in it, 3 of which are trumpet players. Being in Jazz Band required Luke to go to school an hour early three times a week. Luke was very dedicated and dragged me out of bed on those mornings to drive him to school.

All the practicing paid off. The Legacy Junior High had their final performance. The improvement from the first performance to the last was incredible. It was great to watch Luke, he really enjoyed playing. Throughout the year, when I would drop him off before a performance, he would be really nervous and couldn't eat. I would sympathize with him but would also chuckle that he was so nervous-- after all, it's only a band concert. He would remind me that he was band president and if something went wrong he was responsible. I'm happy to report, nothing went wrong. He had an awesome year.