Sunday, April 10, 2011

Heather's Birthday Gift

Sweet Heather turned 10 years old. The best gift she experienced on her birthday was not one she received but one she gave (or tried to give.) Heather was off track for three weeks in March. At the beginning of that time, she decided she wanted a Barnes and Noble Nook (an electronic reader)so she was going to work at James' office and earn enough money to buy one. I would drive her out to the dental office nearly everyday where she would assist James and clean the rooms. She also helped me out around the house to earn more money. She was determined to raise enough to buy the Nook. About a week after she went back to school, she came into our room at night and told us she had decided she didn't want to buy a Nook with her money. We asked her why not and she began to tell us a story about her school teacher. The point of the story was that her teacher had told the class she was going to need a hearing aid due to an injury and hearing aids were expensive. Heather had decided she was going to give all of her money, over $200, to her teacher to help her buy a hearing aid.

The day of her birthday, Heather went to class with an envelope full of money. She tried to give it to her teacher but her teacher wouldn't accept it. Nonetheless, I was so proud of Heather and so humbled as I watched this unselfish act of kindness. I feel very blessed to have the children that I do who so often teach me by their examples. It truly is much better to give than to receive. I've decided that from now on, I will spend my birthday's seeking out opportunities to give. Thanks Heather.