Sunday, April 11, 2010

Quick Trip to Virginia


James and I took a quick trip to Virginia this week. James has a client out there so he had to fly out and set up a computer. The kids were begging to stay with grandma Marcia because they are off-track so James made arrangements for me to go with him. It was a quick trip. After James got the computer set up we went into Washington DC to see the cherry blossom festival around the Jefferson Memorial. I always love going to DC. There are so many beautiful things to see. I've decided it is like the Rome of America. The last time we were in DC with the kids, we didn't make it to the Jefferson Memorial so it was good to see it again. I am a big fan of Thomas Jefferson. He was a fascinating man. The more I learn about him the more I realize he was quite complex. He had so many interests and explored them all. This trip, I was impressed with his understanding that a "free government relies on enlightened citizens." I am understanding more how true this is.

James and I also visited the Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial. Neither one of us had been to this memorial as it is fairly new. It is very large, has various waterfalls, statues, and quotes honoring President Roosevelt's life. It was beautiful to see. President Roosevelt had some great ideas and others I didn't agree but, as I pointed out to James, that's what makes this country great. There is always more than one opinion and all should be respected.

To end the evening, we had dinner at a steak house. It was the same steak house we ate at in San Francisco. Very good food and atmosphere. We ended up spending two and a half hours there eating and talking. It was good to reconnect and spend time together.