Monday, November 30, 2009

Matthew falls down and "breaks" his head!

Last Sunday I was talking on the phone with my mom when the kids came in and told me something was wrong with Matthew. I turned around and was greeted with the sight of blood pouring down the back of his head and soaking his pajamas. I quickly hung up the phone and tried not to panic. James was at tithing settlement so I was on my own (or so I thought). I took Matthew upstairs and attempted to clean his head so I could evaluate the damage. The kids told me he had been jumping on the chairs in the theatre and fell back, banging his head on a cup resting in a cupholder. The wound began to swell quickly and I was afraid there might be glass in it. The kids brought me the cup, however, and it was unbroken. I was bundling him and myself up to take him to the doctor when I had an impression to go next door and get my neighbor. My next door neighbor is a nurse. I rushed out in the blizzard and found Sister Jacobs. Her sister-in-law happened to be visiting her and is also a nurse. They agreed to come help. They arrived with super glue in hand. They quickly went to work cleaning the wound and gluing it up. I valiantly held Matthew's head as still as possible and tried to keep my composure from breaking down. We had a little mishap with the glue, a little too much was applied to the wound and seeped out into his hair, but other than that, he was as good as new. I was so grateful for loving neighbors who are so willing to help whenever we call and I was grateful for being watched over while James was away.



Matthew is doing great. He still has a goober of super glue on the back of his head. He won't let me touch it to get it out but he did finally let me wash his hair. I've decided we'll wait until the hair grows a bit and cut it out, in the meantime, he'll wear a hat. "No more Matthew's jumping on the bed (or chair, or anywhere)!"