Thursday, February 12, 2009

Wow!




Wow! was the theme of this year's PTA Reflections. Luke decided to do a 3-d art project. He came up with and idea all on his own--a jeweled tree. I thought the idea was very clever and apparently the judges did as well because he won. It was a real boost for Luke because he had been feeling like he didn't have any talent in the art area. Last term he got his lowest grade in art (it was an A-). He felt real bad about it. I explained to him that art is subjective and you just have to do your best. That didn't seem to help so I finally had to admit to him that my lowest grade in high school was in art. That seemed to make it all right. I guess those experiences you have in high school that don't seem to make sense, come back later to help you out as teaching opportunities.