Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lindsey gets her ears pierced

Months ago, Lindsey began asking if she could get her ears pierced. According to her, she was the only one in her whole class who did not have pierced ears. After some thought and discussion, we came upon a plan. To show us that she responsible enough to have pierced ears, Lindsey had to act responsibly by doing a variety of things that we discussed. Lindsey worked hard for many months, proving that she was responsible. After some time, she approached me again and asked if I thought she was responsible. I reflected over the past few months and realized that she had been very responsible, but as a mother, I don't like to see my kids grow up-- and I also enjoy teasing them. I kept putting her off and telling her she had to keep working. Of course, she wasn't always happy about this and I again started hearing about the numerous girls her age who had pierced ears. I was fascinated by the fact that my daughter was the only girl in her whole school without pierced ears. I kept trying to convince her that it was good to be unique.

As Christmas arrived, however, I knew I was going to have to keep my end of the bargain and let her get her ears pierced. She had been very responsible, more than I expected her to be. I decided Christmas would be a great time to tell her she could join the ranks of those of us with pierced ears. I got her some lovely earrings with her birthstone, wrapped them up with a big bow, and put the gift on the tree. After the mayhem of Christmas morning had died down, I told her there was one last gift on the tree. She quickly found it and tore the paper open. Her first response was how pretty they were but she couldn't wear them because the earrings were for pierced ears. I informed her that her gift was to get her ears pierced. Needless to say, she was very excited.

Lindsey enlisted the moral support of her cousin Carissa who already had had the experience of getting her ears pierced. We decided to turn it into a girls day out so Lindsey, Heather, Savannah and I ventured down to Salt Lake, picked up Carissa and Sophie and headed to the mall. There was actually a line of people waiting to get their ears pierced so the girls mingled around the store picking out various jewelry items while we waited. When they called Lindsey's name I could tell she was a little nervous. All of our assurances that it didn't hurt didn't seem to be comforting her. Her fear was not greater than her desire, however,and she was determined to go through with it. I had to turn my head when the ladies approached her (there are some things a mother can't watch). They did both ears at the same time which was nice because Lindsey informed me later that it did hurt--a little bit--and if she had to sit for one ear at a time she may have jumped at the second one. Lindsey walked out of the shop with a big grin on her face, instructions and cleaner in her bag, and a little bit more grown up.