Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Celebration of the Inauguration, January 20, 2009


Today is an historical day, as all inaugural days are. I have pondered much about what is happening today-- the amount of money being spent, the state of our country, the promises that are being made-- and I have had conflicting feelings. Where will our country be in the next few years? As I studied my scriptures, reflecting on this land being preserved for a great purpose and being blessed as a Promised Land, I realized that I am probably not the only one who wonders, and ours is probably not the only generation that has wondered. Our country's history is peppered with ups and downs, conflict and crisis. I concluded that, while I may not agree with the man and many of his ideas, I will celebrate this inauguration and teach my children to do the same. I think it is important and necessary to help my children understand that it is the office of President that we celebrate and respect.
That while we may not agree with the office holder, the office of President is an office created by an inspired Constitution. Ours is a great country founded on true principles and we support that wholeheartedly. The Constitution was written by men who sought out the guidance of God and we can pray that our current leaders will continue to do the same. It is this same Constitution that allows us to disagree and still be united as one nation under God. And so, we celebrate this inaugural day with hope and joy, grateful to be blessed to live in this great country!