Monday, January 14, 2013

Matthew Gets the Reading Award

Matthew's kindergarten class had their first program.  It was excellent-- full of singing and dancing.  Is there anything better than watching 5-6 year old children sing at the top of their lungs while doing a fun dance.  You can't help but smile.  We had many smiling opportunities with this program, but our favorite was when Matthew was presented with his reading medal.  He was the first student to finish the reading program.  When his teacher asked him if this meant he was done reading and didn't have to read anymore, he replied, "yes."

I asked him that night if he would like to wear his medal to school in the morning.  He informed me he didn't have school.  I reminded him it was only Thursday night and tomorrow was Friday.  He responded by telling me, "he graduated tonight and didn't have to go to school anymore."  I guess when you have a program and get a medal that means you're done.  I reminded him how they had just had their 50th day of school celebration and then explained there are 180 days in a school year.  He quickly got over his disappointment because he loves kindergarten.