Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Gingerbread Houses



Have you ever wondered what your kitchen looks like after 14 girls get together to make gingerbread houses? We don't have to wonder anymore. Lindsey had a gingerbread house party for her friends this year (this was in lieu of a Christmas gift). A couple of days before the party, I baked and I baked and I baked. (If anyone needs pointers on gingerbread, I've had a crash course). We had gingerbread piled around the kitchen for a couple of days because it works better if the gingerbread has dried out. My kids all said the house smelled great, I'm hoping that is the memory they keep and not the memory of the mess.

Friday after school, the girls showed up ready to decorate. I had assembled the houses except for the roof. I waited because the roof has to be held while it dries. I went around the room and put the roofs on and the girls held it together. They did look a little funny all sitting and holding their roofs on for about ten minutes but they didn't seem to mind, they found plenty to talk about. The girls got quite creative when it came time to decorate. Each house was very unique. It was fun to watch them working and talking. I even got to make a house which I haven't done in years.